Club results roundup – 14 & 15 October 2017

Milton AFC 3-2 Port Glasgow Celtic

West of Scotland Cup
A very difficult but deserved victory for Milton against a solid Port Glasgow outfit. The visitors started on the front foot and almost caught Milton out from KO but McKay, in the Milton goal, parried the effort round the post. Milton gradually took a firm hold on the game and Gardner and Anderson started to dominate the midfield. Watt almost scored the opener after Henderson set him up but the keeper saved well.

Milton finally scored when Gardner headed home a Mitchell corner. The big visiting striker was a handful but Galloway and Whiteford coped well. Port Glasgow started the second half well and were causing the home defence problems – it came as no surprise when they eventually equalised with a well taken goal.

Murphy then set up Henderson who unluckily hit the post with a left foot drive. The keeper made a brilliant save from Henderson but Statter picked up the lose ball and hit the net to put Milton in front. Shaddick hit a beauty for number 3. Right on the final whistle Port Glasgow scored a 2nd, but it was only a consolation, and Milton went into the next round.

This Saturday Milton are at home to Doune Castle, KO 2.00.

The Club’s After Dinner Speakers Night is now set. It will take place in Bannockburn Miners Welfare on Saturday 3rd March 2018. John Rowbotham, Eric Davidson and Joe Camay are our speakers with Chic Grant as MC. Tickets are held at £30.00 which includes a first class meal. Contact Pat on 07850 998832 for more details.

Milton U21s P-P Finnart

Milton U21s’ game against Finnart was called off.

Milton 2003s 1-1 Hamilton


Milton 2004s 1-2 Motherwell FC CT

A backs to the wall effort from Milton just failed to earn a hard-fought point against Motherwell.

The first 20 minutes of the match saw Milton pinned in their own half by an intimidating home side, and eventually the pressure told, as a ball through the middle of the defence was drilled into the bottom corner of the net.

Ryan Pow made one excellent save to keep the score down and Motherwell put another couple of chances past the upright.

But eventually Milton began to get a foothold, and when a Conal Philliben corner wasn’t properly cleared, it dropped to Joe Thompson who fired the ball into the corner.
Jamie Lapsley then had a couple of half-chances as the away team began to put pressure on before the interval.

The second half was a mirror image of the first, with the defence holding firm and Ryan once again producing a great save.

Milton sub Ian Miller burst through midfield and hammered a great 25-yard effort that had the home keeper scrambling.

But with five minutes left the home side broke down the Milton defensive wall and hooked the ball in. There was just enough time for Keir Esson to slide a pass through to Jamie Lapsley, but the Motherwell keeper managed to block his low shot with his legs.